Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Module 4 - Learning Summary



Literacy Across the Curriculum:
This grouping of pirate themed lessons is such a cute idea!  I think all students would enjoy learning about a pirate in all areas of school.  What I really like about this example is that it proves that practically any topic can not only be integrated across all content areas effectively, but that it can be a really fun way to involve students in a topic is various ways.  What student wouldn’t love learning about pirate hangouts near where they live?!  With a little extra planning and some thinking outside of the box, I think that creating integrated units that cover every content area can be easily and successfully done.  

RTI:
I wholeheartedly agree with the quote “The quality of a school as a learning community can be measured by how effectively it addresses the needs of struggling students.”  My school is EXTREMELY proactive in determining students that need additional help in some way and providing that help.  For example, in my class of 24, in addition to EIP support, there are also writing tutors that meet weekly with students during specials time, math tutors that meet with students in the morning, and math tutors that meet with students during specials.  Between those 4 groups, I have seven students in my homeroom receiving additional support in some way, and two of those students receive more than one support.  The focus in our school isn’t simply on determining which students aren’t doing well and placing them in a higher RTI level, but it’s to actually do something to help those students.  Only two of the students I mentioned are in RTI level 2 or above.  The kids and parents of the kids at my school know that we care, and we will do what’s necessary to help them succeed.  

The purpose of RTI is to put interventions in place that help struggling students.  It’s often confused, especially with parents, as a program that identifies students with learning disabilities.  What I like about RTI is that its goal is to be preventative.  It’s to target students early on that need additional help.  As a fifth grade teacher, I have seen that it’s unlikely, if students have been within our school in previous years, that I will initiate moving a child from tier 1 to tier 2.  Before students get to my room, they have been targeted, and interventions and supports are already in place. 

Videos:
I really liked the video of first graders creating sentences.  All of the students seemed to be very engaged throughout the lesson.  I like that the teacher asked repetitive questions.  “What do we do first?”  “What did the wagon do?”  The students got to hold part of the sentence in their hands to show that they were needed to make a sentence.  I like what the teacher did to involve, engage, and teach these students in a short lesson. 
 
Strategic Reading Instruction:
This powerpoint provided a nice review of some big ideas learned throughout this course and those before it.  What I liked the most from this was the student centers ideas.  Some of them I already use frequently, but there were others that provided good ideas and suggestions for new activities my students can complete during centers.  

WebQuest Guidelines:
WebQuests are things that I don’t use frequently in my room, but I really have no reason not to.  I think they are wonderful, fun and engaging, and overall enjoyable for the students.  With students becoming more aware of and comfortable with technology, it makes so much sense for them to have a webquest with specified areas to learn about our topic of focus.  I really want to focus on using webquests more for the remainder of this year and those that follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment