Saturday, January 11, 2014

Module 1 - Trip to Hawaii



The most interesting part of the trip to Hawaii, in my opinion, was all of the second video.  The various examples of graphic organizers and how they can be used in all content areas and grades gave me many ideas for new graphic organizers I can introduce to my students.  I love the problem solving grid provided in the first grade graphic organizer example.  Although I teach fifth grade, I can see that a graphic organizer similar to the one in the example geared towards older students and problems would be very helpful for word problems in particular.  I love using graphic organizers in my class, especially in science.  I find that my students are more successful when they are given a specific format for a way to organize and think about their learning.  We use Frayer models frequently for vocabulary words.  We also use tree diagrams to show how small concepts build into larger ones.  

I like that the second video mentions the importance of teaching students how to use graphic organizers.  I realized early this year that although we were using many graphic organizers, not all students saw how they were a tool to their current learning.  In addition to seeing the immediate usefulness of graphic organizers, I also talked with my students about how they are a tool when studying for assessments.  We spent time talking about the helpfulness of graphic organizers and how they can aid students in understanding the topics we are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment